The Langdon Cove Association (LCA) made the original land donation in 1980, making the it LRCT’s first conserved property. The 46-acre preserve features a 0.36-mile trail named the Cowles-Given loop that leads visitors out to a scenic view of Langdon Cove (also known as Langley Cove).
The Langdon family, for whom the cove is named, entered the deed records when John Langdon in 1856 purchased a 50-acre parcel near the intersection of Moultonboro Neck and Winaukee roads for $800. Known as Langdon Farm, it included much of the preserve, with the remainder part of the old Dow Farm. The prominent cellar hole to the left of the kiosk is of an earlier date. John Langdon’s widow, Sarah, sold the property in 1885 for $2,000, and the first vacationers, also known as “rusticators,” began arriving shortly thereafter. Today, the rest of the Langdon Cove shoreline has been developed as far as its terminus at Garnet Point. Though cleared for farming in the early 1800s, the preserve has been undisturbed, except for occasional logging, for more than a century.
The right loop of the blue-blazed trail covers the high ground, a predominantly hemlock forest with striking glacial erratic boulders. The left trail loop, past the cellar hole, descends to an old tote road. Turning right, it proceeds straight to the lakeshore. The northern section – the bulk of the property – features small hardwoods, in marshland and swamp areas that are not accessible; please stay on the trail.
Flora and Fauna
Typical of lake wetland areas, the shoreline has a diversity of plants, including native highbush blueberries and at least two carnivorous (insect-consuming) species, pitcher plant and sundew. Larger wildlife species seen on the preserve include turkey, deer, moose, fox, beaver and an occasional bear. The highlight, though, is the common loon. Pairs have successfully nested and fledged chicks from the two Munroe Islands, visible from the large boulder at trail’s end. The islands are also part of the preserve.
Directions & Parking
There is currently no established parking area for the Preserve. Access to the property is primarily foot-traffic only.
- From Route 25, take Moultonboro Neck Road, south. After passing Spaulding Cir on your right, the dirt road leading into the property will be on your left.