The protection of this property was made possible by the generosity of Avis and William Smart, who donated the land to LRCT in 2005 in order to preserve it for the benefit and enjoyment of generations to come. The property had been in Avis Smart’s family for over 70 years! A loop trail of under a mile in length provides opportunities for peaceful walks and appreciation of nature. The trailhead is located on Watson Road, just west of Gunstock Hill Road.
Directions & Parking
All parking areas are open from dawn to dusk, and are always free and open to the public.
The Avis P. Smart Woods is located near Gilford Village, close to the intersection of Watson Rd. and Gunstock Hill Rd.
From the north, west, and south (Route 11):
- Follow Route 11 to the intersection with Route 11C near the Laconia Airport
- Turn southeast onto Watson Rd. (across from Route 11C) toward Gilford Village
- Follow Watson Road for approximately 1.0 mile to the Avis P. Smart Woods (LRCT kiosk on right, before you reach Gunstock Hill Road).
From the east (Gilford):
- Follow Gunstock Hill Rd. to the intersection with Watson Rd
- Turn onto Watson Road for less than ¼ mile to the Avis P. Smart Woods (LRCT kiosk on left)